COVID-19 HER Resource Manager
The team at RWJF HER has created a shareable google spreadsheet that lists funded research/projects, publications, and resources related to food insecurity or diet quality/nutritional adequacy and COVID-19.
We encourage you to use (and share) this resource to prevent duplication of efforts as well as encourage collaboration on projects. If you choose to add a research project you are currently working on AND need additional support/collaborators, please include your contact information (keeping in mind this spreadsheet is accessible to anyone who has the link).
You can access the spreadsheet using this link.
NOPREN COVID-19 Food Access Work Group
This ad hoc work group is comprised of NOPREN researchers and practitioners exploring ways to inform policy and practice in real-time, as well as examine the impacts of federal, tribal, state, and local COVID-19 relevant decisions on food security and dietary intake. Sub-groups are focusing on school meals (school closures mean millions of children have lost access to school-based breakfast and lunch on weekdays), the charitable food system, and other pandemic-related issues. Work group resources and agenda can be found here.
- Meets on a monthly basis from 3:30pm-5:00pm EST
- Upcoming Calls: July 17th, August 14th, September 11
- Contact Caroline Dunn Glagola Dunn at: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to join
USDA Summer Meals Can Keep Kids Healthy and Kids’ Hunger Doesn’t Take a Spring Break fact sheets developed by Christina Hecht (NPI), Ken Hecht (NPI) and Anisha Patel (Stanford). These fact sheets highlight practices, regulations & resources for school districts to provide healthy school meals over the summer and breaks, even while closed for COVID-19.
- Summer Fact Sheets (updated June 20, 2020): National: Fact Sheet and Modifiable Template | California: Fact Sheet and Modifiable Template
- Spring Break Fact sheets: National: Fact sheet and Modifiable template | California: Fact sheet and Modifiable template
- New Review: US Coronavirus Relief Package: Update on Food and Nutrition Provisions, Editorial Board, Nutrition Today. Sheila Fleischhacker PhD, JD at Georgetown University Law School provides a review of the U.S. Coronavirus Relief Package and how food and nutrition workers can ensure the food and nutrition needs of citizens are met during the COVID-19 pandemic. Click here to access this resource.
Students interested in learning more about HER NOPREN COVID-19 School Nutrition Implications Working Group, the HER NOPREN WIC Learning Collaborative, or other NOPREN Working Groups are welcome to join us this summer for a first-of-its-kind six-part summer speaker series. This summer the series will focus on COVID-19 related adaptions of the key federal nutrition assistance programs. The speaker series will be designed to provide students a safe environment to learn the fundamentals of the topic, along with relevant professional opportunities in research, policy, and practice. The series will be held from 1-2pm PST/4-5pm EST on the following dates. Please email Sheila Fleischhacker for more information @ email@example.com
- June 3rd: Series Overview (link to call recording & slides)
- June 17th: USDA Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (link to call recording & slides)
- July 1st: USDA National School Lunch Program (NSLP), School Breakfast Program (SBP), Summer Meals Program (SMP) (link to call recording & slides)
- July 15th: USDA Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) (link to call recording & slides)
- July 29th: USDA Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) (link to call recording & slides)
- August 12th: US Food System Overview (link to call recording & slides)
HER/NOPREN Healthy Food Retail Work Group WIC Retail Learning Collaborative
- Join by Zoom (contact Kirsten Arm at firstname.lastname@example.org for link)
HER/NOPREN Early Childhood Work Group: the EC Work Group has created a Google doc to share nutrition education resources for parents now home schooling their children and for in-home child care providers.
NOPREN Food Security Work Group Call—Charitable Food System Response to COVID-19, Emily Engelhard, Feeding America: The Food Security Work Group met to discuss best practices for the Charitable Food System in responding to the COVID-19 situation. The group also discussed ways the system is currently responding, challenges arising, and ways to improve the response to the COVID-19 situation. Click here to access the call recording.
NOPREN Rural Food Access Call—Rural Food Insecurity and COVID-19, No Kid Hungry and the UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention: The Rural Food Access Work Group and No Kid Hungry North Carolina collaborated to discuss efforts of No Kid Hungry North Carolina to support food and nutrition needs amidst school closing. They also discussed how rural communities are preparing and faring amidst of the COVID-19 situation. Click here to access the call recording.